Auxiliary Hoses

One of the main reasons I decided to install reversible impeller pumps rather than using aerator style pumps was the ability to have auxiliary hoses.  The aux hoses will be used to fill and empty additional fat sacs that are placed on the seats or floor.  Aux hoses are not possible with aerator type pumps because they are not self priming like the impeller style pumps are. 

My aux lines are not included as part of the manifold discussed in this blog.  There was no reason to build them into the manifold since the valve for each aux line will be at the end of the hose.  This makes it so you can stop and start the flow directly at the sac.  I used 1" hose for both of my aux lines.  The aux line diverts from the main water line shortly after the pump using a Y fitting.  I used a Y fitting instead of a tee to hopefully help split the water flow evenly between the aux line and the hose connecting into the manifold.  The following picture shows the Y fitting located just beyond the pump but does not have the aux hose attached yet.


I attached the aux hose to the lower arm of the Y fitting and then ran it into the engine compartment.  I made sure each aux hose was long enough to reach to whereever I felt I might use additional sacs.  I then attached a 1" threaded ball valve to the end of the hose.  I then threaded a street elbow onto the ball valve.  A 1" close nipple is then used to thread onto the Fly High quick twist connector.  Here is a picture showing these fittings.


The Fly High quick twist connector shown in the picture above may look a little strange.  That is because it is meant to be used with the Fly High check valve adapter (W744).  I purchased Fly High check valves to be used with my aux sacs to help prevent water from spilling out when the fill hose is removed.  The check valve will proably reduce the flow rate slightly but I wasn't concerned with that since the aux sacs will still fill up before my Jumbo locker sacs are finished filling.  The fly high quick twist connector is actually intended to be threaded on their Tsunami pumps which is a proprietary thread pattern.  These came with a rubber O ring though and I found that they threaded and sealed onto a 1" standard pipe thread just fine if you wrapped the threads with a good amount of thread seal tape.  WakeMakers also mentioned that some people have just used epoxy to seal the threads as well which would be permanent. 

I tried to keep the ball valve as close to the end of the line as possible so that water is not spilled from the hose when it is removed from the sac. 

I then coiled up each aux hose and hung it on the inside of each engine divider.  I simply used some velcro strap purchased from Lowes and cut it to the length I needed.  Here's a picture showing where the aux line is stored.


The velcro strap is ran through the handle of the divider and then up around the top of the divider (not around the metal bracing).  Then it just wraps around the aux line to keep it secure.  I felt like this location would be ideal for storing the aux lines when not in use.  This location allows access to the aux hoses without having to ask people to move from their seats.  Also, I have noticed that the engine door will stay closed even when the aux hoses are draped over the back seat.  The hyraulics of the engine door creates a downward pressure when an inch or two away from the full closed position.  This is great if you want to be filling your aux sacs while under way.  I just don't recommend going full throttle unless the aux hoses are put away and the engine door is secured. 

These two aux lines adds a lot of flexibility to the ballast system.  Having two aux lines allows me to fill one aux sac while emptying the other.  That comes in handy when switching sides for goofy or regular footed surfers.  It also allows me to fill two aux sacs at the same time (I almost always have two aux sacs filled in my boat).   I also have the ability to use both pumps to fill a single aux sac by opening the isolation valve in the manifold.  When the isolation valve is open then the water from the opposite pump goes up through the manifold and back down the opposite main line creating additional flow out the open aux hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment