The Problem

When surfing, I primarily surf the starboard side since I am goofy footed.  My typical ballast setup when surfing (with only 2-3 passengers and smooth water) is to fill a 750# Launch Pad sac in the rear starboard locker, 350# Launch Pad sac on the starboard bench seat, 350# Launch Pad sac on the floor between the back of the driver's chair and the starboard bench, stock starboard tank filled, and a 400# integrated Fly High bow sac located under the bow seats.  So this is 4 sacs that I am manually filling each time I surf.  I currently use a Fly High Tsunami pump to fill the bow sac, a Launch Pad Uber pump to fill the 750# locker sac, and a single Mayfair aerator pump to fill the two 350# sacs.  That is 3 portable pumps running at the same time.  And the 12v cord for all 3 pumps are plugged into the single 12v socket located near the driver's feet.  The Falcon V only has one 12v outlet stock.  So I use a 12v splitter to run all 3 pumps at once. 

As you can imagine this is a big spaghetti mess of power cords and pump hoses.  About every two minutes my son or someone else is sure to trip over one of the power cords just enough that it comes disconnected.  So unless I'm with someone else who is familiar with filling ballast sacs, I'm generally running all over the boat checking how full the sacs are and making sure the pumps are still going, and if the sac is full, I'm trying to quickly get through all the spaghetti and through the passengers to unplug the pump before the sac wants to burst.  Then there's the usual water that escapes from the sac when removing the fill pump before you can get the cap back on the sac.  This made it so I was always airing out my carpet when I get home after each surf trip.  That is a good thing to do anyways but I was usually mopping up excess water caused by the overflow. 

This took a considerable amount of time and headache to fill all the fat sacs.  Also, I'd sometimes have to jump through all these hoops more than once a day if we were to switch everything to the port side for regular footed riders.  This was too much mess and too much time wasted on the water dealing with pumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment